A Study Of The Ten Commandments
A Study Of The Ten Commandments (KJV)
By Mary Lee Thornton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Contents ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. No Other Gods Before Me
2. Do Not Make Graven Images (Idols)
3. Do Not Use God’s Name In Vain
4. Rest On The Sabbath Day
5. Respect And Obey Your Parents
6. Respect And Protect Human Life
7. Be True To Your Husband Or Wife
8. Do Not Take What Belongs To Others
9. Do Not Lie
10. Be Satisfied With What You Have
Study Number One
No Other Gods Before Me.
1. Exodus 20:3, Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5, And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
3. Deuteronomy 6:14, Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;
4. Psalm 81:9, There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god.
5. Isaiah 43:10, Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
6. Isaiah 44:8, Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
7. Isaiah 46:9, Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
8. Matthew 4:10, Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence,Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God,and him only shalt thou serve.
9. 1 Corinthians 8:6, But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ,by whom are all things, and we by him.
10. Ephesians 4:6, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
11. Colossians 2:9, For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
12. 1 John 5:20, And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Two
No Graven Image
1. Exodus 20:4, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
2. Exodus 20:5, Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
3. Exodus 34:17, Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
4. Leviticus 19:4, Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.
5. Leviticus 26:1, Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image,neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
6. Deuteronomy 27:15, Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.
7. Joshua 23:7, That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them,nor bow yourselves unto them:
8. Isaiah 42:17, They shall be turned back, they shall be greatly ashamed, that trust in graven images, that say to the molten images, Ye are our gods.
9. Acts 17:29, Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
10. Acts 19:26, Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Three
Do Not Take The Name Of God In Vain
(Beware Of Using Slang Words, Cursing, Swearing, Slander, Reviling)
1. Exodus 20:7, Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
2. Leviticus 19:12, And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.
3. Proverbs 30:9, Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.
4. Psalm 8:1, O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
5. Psalm 74:18, Remember this, that the enemy hath reproached, O LORD, and that the foolish people have blasphemed thy name.
6. Psalm 139:20, For they speak against thee wickedly,and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
7. Jeremiah 23:10, For the land is full of adulterers; for because of swearing the land mourneth; the pleasant places of the wilderness are dried up, and their course is evil, and their force is not right.
8. Matthew 12:31, Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
9. 2 Timothy 2:16, But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
10. Colossians 3:8, But now ye also put off all these; anger,wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
11. James 2:7, Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
12. James 3:10, Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Four
Keep The Sabbath Holy
The Sabbath Is Jewish From Beginning To End Of Its Observance In The Bible, (Exodus 31:16-17) Yet We Have Not Been Freed From The Principle Brought Forth From This Commandment. The Early Church Gathered To Worship On Sunday Because Jesus Arose On The First Day Of The Week, Called The Lord’s Day (John 20; Acts 20:7; Rev. 1:10). (God Is Saying, “I Want Some Of Your Time.”)
1. Exodus 20:8, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
2. Genesis 2:3, And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
3. Exodus 31:16, Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations,for a perpetual covenant.
4. Exodus 31:17, It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
5. Leviticus 19:30, Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
6. Matthew 12:12, How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
7. Mark 2:27, And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
8. Mark 2:28, Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
9. Luke 6:9, Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?
10. Acts 20:7, And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued; his speech until midnight.
11. 1 Corinthians 16:2, Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him,that there be no gatherings when I come.
12. Revelation 1:10, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
Study Number Five
Honor Thy Father And Mother
1. Exodus 20:12, Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
2. Exodus 21:15, And he that smiteth his father, or his mother,shall be surely put to death.
3. Proverbs 1:8, My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother.
4. Matthew 19:19, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
5. Luke 2:51, And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
6. Ephesians 6:1, Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
7. Ephesians 6:2, Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
8. Ephesians 6:3, That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
9. Colossians 3:20, Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
10. Proverbs 10:1, The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
11. Proverbs 23:22, Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.
12. Proverbs 23:26, My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.
13. Hebrews 12:9, Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits,and live?
14. Proverbs 30:11, There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Six
Do Not Take Human Life
1. Exodus 20:13, Thou shalt not kill.
2. Genesis 4:8, And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
3. Genesis 9:6, Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
4. 2 Samuel 12:9, Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon.
5. Matthew 5:21, Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
6. Romans 13:9, For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying,namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
7. James 2:11, For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
8. 1 Peter 4:15, But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
9. 1 John 3:15, Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
10. Revelation 6:4, And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another:and there was given unto him a great sword.
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Seven
Do Not Commit Adultery
1. Exodus 20:14, Thou shalt not commit adultery.
2. Proverbs 6:32, But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
3. Matthew 5:27, Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
4. Matthew 5:28, But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
5. Matthew 5:32, But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
6. 1 Corinthians 5:9, I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
7. 1 Corinthians 6:18, Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
8. 1 Corinthians 7:2, Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
9. 1 Corinthians 10:8, Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
10. Galatians 5:19, Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
11. Hebrews 13:4, Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
12. 1 Corinthians 6:9, Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Eight
Do Not Steal
1. Exodus 20:15, Thou shalt not steal.
2. Exodus 22:1, If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it,or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox,and four sheep for a sheep.
3. Exodus 22:7, If a man shall deliver unto his neighbour money or stuff to keep, and it be stolen out of the man's house; if the thief be found, let him pay double.
4. Leviticus 19:11, Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.
5. Psalm 62:10, Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.
6. Proverbs 29:24, Whoso is partner with a thief hateth his own soul: he heareth cursing, and bewrayeth it not.
7. Luke 18:20, Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness,Honour thy father and thy mother.
8. John 10:1, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
9. John 10:10, The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill,and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
10. 1 Corinthians 6:10, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards,nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11. Ephesians 4:28, Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
12. 1 Peter 4:15, But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
13. Romans 2:21, Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Nine
Do Not Lie
1. Exodus 20:16, Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
2. Exodus 23:1, Thou shalt not raise a false report: put not thine hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.
3. Leviticus 19:11, Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.
4. 1 Kings 21:10, And set two men, sons of Belial, before him, to bear witness against him, saying, Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die.
5. Job 36:4, For truly my words shall not be false: he that is perfect in knowledge is with thee.
6. Psalm 119:163, I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.
7. Psalm 120:2, Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
8. Proverbs 12:17, He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.
9. Proverbs 12:22, Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
10. Ephesians 4:25, Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
11. Colossians 3:9, Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
12. 1 Timothy 4:2, Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
13. Revelation 21:8, But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
14. Revelation 22:15, For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
The Ten Commandments
Study Number Ten
Do Not Covet
1. Exodus 20:17, Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house,thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant,nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
2. Joshua 7:21, When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.
3. Psalm 10:3, For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
4. Psalm 119:36, Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
5. Proverbs 15:27, He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
6. Jeremiah 51:13. O thou that dwellest upon many waters,abundant in treasures, thine end is come, and the measure of thy covetousness.
7. Mark 7:22. Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit,lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23, All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
8. Luke 12:15, And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
9. Romans 7:7, What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
10. Ephesians 5:3, But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
11. Hebrews 13:5, Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have:for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
We Hope You Enjoyed Reading The Study Of The Ten Commandments
Write To Me Godsgrazingfield@att.net
Back To Home Page
By Mary Lee Thornton