A Study Of The Beatitudes
A Study Of The Beatitudes (KJV)
By Mary Lee Thornton
Study Number One.
These Studies Are Taken From The Sermon On The Mount In Matthew Chapter 5:3-11
Poor In Spirit. (Humility, Humble In Disposition.)
1. Matthew 5:3, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2. 2 Chronicles 7:14, If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
3. Job 22:29, When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, There is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.
4. Proverbs 15:33, The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.
5. Psalm 51:17, The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
6. Isaiah 57:15, For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
7. Matthew 18:4, Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
8. Matthew 23:12, And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
9. Acts 20:19, Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
10. James 4:10, Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
11. 1 Peter 5:5, Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
12. 1 Peter 5:6, Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
Study Number Two.
Beatitudes – Mourning. (Sorrow, Weeping)
1. Matthew 5:4, Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
2. John 16:20, Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
3. Genesis 23:2, And Sarah died in Kirjatharba; the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan: and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to weep for her.
4. 1 Thessalonians 4:13, But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
5. Ecclesiastes 3:4, A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
6. Isaiah 61:2, To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
7. John 16:20, Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.
8. John 16:22, And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
9. Isaiah 35:10, And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
10. 2 Corinthians 7:10, For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
11. Revelation 21:4, And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Study Number Three.
Beatitudes – Meek. (Mildness Of Disposition, Gentleness Of Spirit)
1. Matthew 5:5, Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
2. Psalm 37:11, But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
3. Numbers 12:3, (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)
4. Psalm 25:9, The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
5. Psalm 147:6, The LORD lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground.
6. Psalm 149:4, For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
7. Isaiah 61:1, The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
8. Matthew 11:29, Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
9. Psalm 18:35, Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.
10. Psalm 22:26, The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
11. 1 Peter 3:4, But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
12. James 1:21, Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
13. Ephesians 4:2, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Study Number Four.
Beatitudes---Hunger And Thirst After Righteousness.
(Figuratively, Those Who Are Said To Hunger And Thirst, Who Painfully Feel Their Want Of, And Eagerly Long For, Those Things By Which The Soul Is Refreshed, Supported, Strengthened.)
1. Matthew 5:6, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5, And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
3. Psalm 42:1, As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
4. Psalm 107:9, For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.
5. Psalm 63:1, O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry an thirsty land, where no water is;
6. Psalm 84:2, My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
7. Philippians 3:14, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
8. John 7:37, In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
9. John 7:38, He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
10. Isaiah 55:1, Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
11. Revelation 21:6, And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Study Number Five.
Beatitudes—Merciful. (Figuratively, To Help Those Afflicted, Distressed, Or Need.)
1. Matthew 5:7, Blessed are the merciful : for they shall obtain mercy .
2. Psalm 41:1, Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
3. Micah 6:8, He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
4. Matthew 18:3, Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
5. Matthew 23:23, Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
6. Luke 6:36, Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
7. Hebrews 10:34, For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.
8. James 2:13, For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
9. 1 Peter 3:8, Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
10. 1 John 3:17, But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
11. Jude 22, And of some have compassion, making a difference:
12. Luke 10:37, And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Lesson Number Six.
Beatitudes—Pure In Heart. (Figuratively, Unstained With The Guilt Of Anything)
1. Matthew 5:8, Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
2. Psalm 73:1, Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
3. Psalm 51:2, Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
4. Psalm 19:12, Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
5. 2 Corinthians 7:1, Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
6. 1 Peter 1:22, Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
7. 1 John 3:3, And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
8. James 4:8, Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
9. Hebrews 10:22, Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
10. Philippians 2:15, That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
11. Luke 1:6, And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
12. Romans 12:1, I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Study Number Seven.
Beatitudes – Peacemakers. (Peacemaker, One Who Settles Disputes)
1. Matthew 5:9, Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
2. Ephesians 6:15, And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
3. James 3:17, But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
4. Proverbs 16:7, When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
5. Romans 12:18, If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
6. Hebrews 12:14, Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
7. Romans 14:19, Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
8. Matthew 5:24, Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
9. Psalm 34:14, Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.
10. James 3:18, And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
11. Mark 9:50, Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.
12. Psalm 133:1, Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
Study Number Eight.
(Beatitudes – Persecuted For Righteousness. Righteousness, Integrity, Virtue, Purity Of Life, Correctness Of Thinking, Feeling, And Acting)
1. Matthew 5:10, Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2. Mark 8:35, For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
3. Acts 14:22, Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
4. James 5:10, Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.
5. 1 Peter 3:14, But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
6. Psalm 37:39, But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.
7. 1 Peter 2:20, For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
8. 2 Timothy 2:10, Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
9. 2 Corinthians 1:5, For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.
10. 2 Corinthians 1:7. And our hope of you is stedfast, knowing, that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolation.
11. Luke 6:22, Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
Study Number Nine.
Beatitudes – Reviled For Christ’s Sake. (Reviled, Falsely Accuse, Curse, Reproach, Berate)
1. Matthew 5:11, Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
2. Matthew 5:12, Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
3. Acts 5:41, And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
4. John 9:28, Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
5. 1 Corinthians 4:12, And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
6. 1 Peter 4:14, If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
7. 1 Kings 21:13, And there came in two men, children of Belial, and sat before him: and the men of Belial witnessed against him, even against Naboth, in the presence of the people, saying, Naboth did blaspheme God and the king. Then they carried him forth out of the city, and stoned him with stones, that he died.
8. Acts 22:22, And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live.
9. 1 Peter 2:23, Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
10. Psalm 38:12, They also that seek after my life lay snares for me: and they that seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and imagine deceits all the day long.
We Hope This Scriptural Study Can Be A Guideline For Your Life.
Write To Me
Thanks For Reading This Study.
E-Mail Me at Godsgrazingfield@att.net
Back To Home Page
Mary Lee Thornton